Alex supports the training team of End of Life Planning both as a consultant and mentor.
When reflecting on her life, Alex believes it was a series of highly spiritual events which led her to on the journey to become interested in end of life companioning. At the tender age of 16, she undertook work experience as a carer for children with severe disabilities. She was humbled and touched by “the little souls experiencing such incredible challenges”. Two years later, she companioned her father in his final days.
Dealing with a life-limiting medical condition along with the severe health challenges of her two children led her to seek out holistic and complementary support for the “whole person”. Alex experienced a heartfelt calling to spiritual care and support in end of life, through an empathic death experience with her mother eight years ago. Alex has worked as a special-needs teacher, has training in palliative care support, meditation facilitation, along with mindfulness in compassionate presence care and holistic counselling. She is a chaplain/spiritual carer at Queensland Children’s Hospital, bringing a compassionate presence to the bedside of children, having experienced herself many a long night in hospital.
Alex understands the complexities involved in navigating the medical system, while juggling the emotional roller coaster of isolation, anxiety of the unknown and grief. She holds relaxation meditation groups in the hospital and her community to enhance a peaceful and regenerative mind, body and spirit. She has found meditation to be a pivotal component in her own healing.
Throughout her entire career, Alex has enjoyed working closely with colleagues and is an advocate for the essential need to ‘caring for the carers’. She is deeply fulfilled when providing support, education and awareness to those experiencing the end of life journey and feels this is her life’s calling. Alex is currently-co-authoring a photographic book with a documentary photographer and artist, capturing the essence of souls in their living, dying and death. The book aims to bring awareness and education to living and dying well.
Qualifications, Awards and Certificates
- Compassionate Presence certificate
- Mindfulness Meditation Training certificate
- Holistic Counselling certificate
- End of Life Consultancy ™ Certificate
- Meditation Teacher training Certificate
- First aid certificate
- CPR certificate
- Asthma and anaphylaxis certificate
- Spiritual Care with the Seriously Ill and Dying Level 1 certificate
- Spiritual Care with the Seriously Ill and Dying Level 2 certificate
- Spiritual Care with the Seriously ill and Dying Level 3 certificate
- Palliative Care Support Certificate – Karuna Hospice
- Diploma Buddhist Chaplaincy
- Queensland Institute of Clinical Pastoral Care Certificate
- Bachelor of Education (Special Education)
- Working with children certificate